Prepare your taste buds for a Chili Challenge like no other at the SouthSide Arts District’s Spring on the SouthSide Community Festival & Chili Cook-Off.
Entering our 23rd year on Saturday, April 28th we are welcoming 26 competing chilies to contend for the Title of People’s Choice Best Chili and the Celebrity Judge’s Top Choice! With live art demonstrations, including Yarn Bombing throughout the SouthSide, crafts for kids, live music and the new Banko Beverage Beer Garden – located on Mechanic street, there’s something for everyone at Spring on the SouthSide. Bring your Musikfest Mug for a special Mug Refill!
Chili Tastings will be stationed throughout the shops and restaurants on 3rd and 4th Streets, and on the South Bethlehem Greenway. Chili passports are on sale now online at southsideartsdistrict.com, or can be purchased day of at our registration booth on the Greenway between Adams and New Streets. A $10 passport will get you 10 tastings to enjoy or share. Bring a canned food donation in support of New Bethany Ministries and the Hispanic Center Lehigh Valley’s Food Pantry, and you will receive a $2 discount on your passport!
Participating Restaurants Include:
- Greenmouth Cafe at Banana Factory / 25 W. 3rd St
- Comfort Suites / 120 W. 3rd St
- St. Bernard’s Home of Good Samaritans / 333 Brodhead Ave.
- Broadway Social / 217 Broadway, Bethlehem, PA 18015
- Tally Ho Tavern / 205 W. 4th St
- TOP SECRET CHILI GUEST at Barreform / 202 W. 4th St
- The Bayou at A List Salon / 128 W. 4th St
- Roasted / 22 W. 4th St
- Santoro’s at Hair By Eskandalo! / 12 W. 4th St
- Sotto Santi / 10 W. 4th St
- La Lupita / 4 W. 4th St
- Molly’s Irish Grille & Sports Pub / 4 E. 4th St
- Fegley’s Bethlehem Brew Works at Rise Above Salon / 333 S. New St
- Steel Pub at Lehigh University, SouthSide Arts District Office / 324 S. New St
- Edible Arrangements / 11 E. 3rd St
- Twisted Olive at Domaci / 21 E. 3rd St
- Daisy Hill Market at Color Me Mine / 25 E. 3rd St
- Tavern at the Sun Inn at Fox Optical / 28 E. 3rd St
- The Bookstore Speakeasy / 336 Adams St
- Hot Plate Soul Kitchen / 201 E. 3rd St
- Puerto Rico Beneficial Society / 205 E. 3rd St
- Bonn Place Brewing Company / 310 – 14 Taylor St
- SouthSide 313 / 313 E. 3rd St
- Molinari’s / 322 E. 3rd St
- Café the Lodge / 427 E. 4th St (back patio off the Greenway)
- Social Still / 530 E. 3rd St
11 a.m.-3 p.m.: Cops ‘N’ Kids Celebration of Reading
Cops ‘N’ Kids 12th Annual Celebration of Reading and the Arts & Sciences
Free entertainment, free books, free food, crafts, science experiments and more!
Where: Northampton Community College Fowler Family SouthSide Center at 511 E. Third Street
12 p.m.–3 p.m.: Chili Cook Off Celebration & Banko Beverage Beer Garden
Chili Tastings throughout 3rd & 4th Streets and on the South Bethlehem Greenway! Pick up your passport at the registration booth located on the Greenway between Adams & New Streets or buy online today and pick up your passports as early as Wednesday, April 25th at the SouthSide Arts District Office located at 324 S. New Street.
What: One passport buys you 10 chili tastings and vote for your favorite. Enjoy live music provided by Godfrey Daniels, sidewalk sales, live art demonstrations, crafts for kids, and the new Banko Beverage Beer Garden! Be sure to bring your Musikfest Mug! Musician line-up includes local rock artist Brian Kibler, (11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.), eclectic folk trio, Soul Folks (12:30-1:30 p.m.), and groove and rock trio Mosey Beat (1:45-2:45p.m.).
3 p.m.–4 p.m.: Hot Pepper Eating Contest & Winner Announcements
Only the strong survive at Homebase Skate Shop’s HOT Pepper Eating Contest. Watch local heroes dive into the depths of spicy fiery, and see a new champion be crowned! Then stay for the announcement of our People’s Choice & Judge’s Choice Chili Winners!
Where: The Godfrey Daniels Main Stage and Banko Beverage Beer Garden – located on Mechanic street between Webster and Taylor streets.
8 p.m.: Come Together 2018: A Benefit for No Place for Hate at Godfrey Daniels
An all-star lineup of local musicians will Come Together at Godfrey Daniels to support “No Place for Hate,” a program that aims to help kids throughout Pennsylvania and the U.S. figure out how to get along with each other. Admission is $18 for adults, and school-age children are free. This year’s performers are Dave Fry, Pentley Holmes, Dina Hall, Alyssa Allen, John Huie, and Duck, who performs as Not For Coltrane. For more information visit www.godfreydaniels.org.
Spring on the SouthSide is sponsored by Banko Beverage, Christian Weber Creatives, Godfrey Daniels, Homebase Skateshop, Lehigh Valley Underground, Lehigh Valley with Love Media, The Morning Call, PPL Corporation, The Restaurant Store, UGI Utilities, Inc, and Wegmans.
For more information visit southsideartsdistrict.com or call 484-892-0395 to speak with Missy Hartney, SouthSide Arts District Manager.
*Passport purchase is required to participate. Must be 21 or older to enter Banko Beverage Beer Garden. Passport is for chili tastings only. Please drink responsibly. No refunds.